The inaugural Louisiana High School Boxing Hall of Fame Induction and Reunion will be held Sunday (Oct. 20) at 2 p.m. at the Sunset (La.) Events Center.
A total of 33 former prep boxers and coaches will make up the first class. Charles Whinham of the Louisiana Public Broadcasting Association will serve as the master of ceremonies and lieutenant governor Jay Dardenne will give the welcome address.
All former Louisiana high school boxers along with family and friends as well as any other sports fans are invited to attend. Tickets are $15 a person and information can be obtained from Bobby Dupre (337-945-4010) or Don Landry (225-766-7349).
The event is sponsored by the Louisiana High School Boxing Association which was formed July 10 in Sunset with its objective being to form a Hall of Fame and host boxing reunions. Dupre was elected to serve as president with Larry Hollier as vice president, Grover Miller secretary and Poochie East as treasurer. Elected as members of the board of directors were Wilson Banta, Sonny Brunson, Foster Doty, Raleigh Fontenot, Ronald Fremin, Don Gascon, Carroll Guilbeau, Charlie Moore, Jack Morgan, Bobby Soileau and Pat Pastor.
High school boxing began on a competitive basis in Louisiana in 1931 and became one of the state's most popular and successful sports. The highlight of each season was the state tournament that was held on the LSU campus from 1931 to 1949 and at Blackham Coliseum in Lafayette from 1950 to 1958.
Plaquemine High was a leader in the early years with nine state titles while Catholic High of Baton Rouge won two. In the 1950s, New Iberia High won six state championships while Opelousas High, Milton High and Mamou High won multiple crowns.
In 1958 boxing ceased to be a sponsored sport by the Louisiana High School Athletic Association.
The following are members of the first class of the Louisiana High School Boxing Hall of Fame and will be inducted Sunday:
- Harold Bailey, New Iberia High
- Sammy Bono, Lake Charles High
- Linden Bonner, Morgan City High
- Gerald Boudreaux, Plaquemine High
- Robert Boudreaux, Milton High
- George Bourque, Opelousas High
- Lt. Francis G. Brink, LSU
- Buddy Chatagnier, St. Edmunds High
- Clarence Cook, Oak Grove High
- Heston Daniels, Plaquemine High
- Sam Distefano, Jr., Plaquemine High
- Batson Dugas, New Iberia High
- Albert DuPont, Plaquemine High
- Shelby DuPont, Plaquemine High
- Floyd East, Landry (St. Louis) High
- Ronald Fremin, New Iberia High
- Tommy Gascon, Plaquemine High
- Terrona Guillory, Mamou High
- Lamar Hankins, Oak Grove High
- Harold Hebert, Milton High
- Larry Hollier, Mamou High
- Martin LaCroix, St. Joseph High
- Gilliam McLane, St. Edmunds High
- LeRoy O'Brien, New Iberia High
- Edwin Ourso, Plaquemine High
- Charles Peterson, Opelousas High
- Pat Pastor, Cathedral High
- Frank Scimeca, Istrouma High
- Bobby Soileau, Sacred Heart High
- Carroll Trahan, Milton High
- Sidney Turner, Milton High
- Carl Williams, LaGrange High
- William Viator, New Iberia High