Green Wave got past cross-town foes 6-1 for 2-0 start to spring season
NEW ORLEANS – Three freshmen and three seniors ruled the courts on Sunday afternoon for the Tulane men's tennis team enroute to a, 6-1, victory over cross-town foe New Orleans at the City Park Pepsi Tennis Center.
The Green Wave's three freshmen (Dominik Koepfer, Alex Van Cott and Ian Van Cott) and three of the six seniors (Idan Mark, Joe Young and Rodrigo Rappaccioli) led the way to Tulane's second win in as many days to begin the spring season.
"I was pleased to see how our freshman stepped up to the challenge in their first dual match in a very heated scenario versus a crosstown rival," Tulane head coach Mark Booras said. "Our seniors showed a lot of leadership today which made for a nice team dynamic."
Tulane claimed the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. The pair of Joe Young and Ian Van Cott got past UNO's Guillermo Aylon and David Malmgren, 8-2, on court three, while Idan Mark and Dominik Koepfer earned a 8-5 victory over Hossam Meligy and Ricardo Campos, on court one.
"This was a great win for our program," Booras added. "It's very reassuring to see how much our guys have developed and how our team has grown and matured since we played UNO three years ago in our inaugural season. Today our guys played like a unit from beginning to end against a very solid opponent."
In singles, Koepfer and Alex Van Cott earned the first two points for Tulane. Koepfer defeated Meligy, 6-2, 6-0, on court four, while Van Cott up ended Lovro Curcija, 6-1, 6-0, on court five.
Rodrigo Rappaccioli defeated Ricardo Campos, 6-4, 6-1, on court three to secure the victory for the Green Wave with the fourth point of the afternoon.
Ian Van Cott added a win over Malmgren, 6-1, 6-4, on court six, while Joe Young defeated Abdelrahman Zaki, 6-3, 6-3, on court two for Tulane's sixth point.
The Green Wave will hit the road for the next two matches, travelling to Tennessee to face Middle Tennessee State next Saturday at 2 p.m. CT and Vanderbilt on Sunday at Noon CT.
Tulane 6, New Orleans 1
1. Rui Silva (UNO) def. Idan Mark (TLN) 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
2. Joe Young (TLN) def. Abdelrahman Zaki (UNO) 6-3, 6-3
3. Rodrigo Rappaccioli (TLN) def. Ricardo Campos (UNO) 6-4, 6-1
4. Dominik Koepfer (TLN) def. Hossam Meligy (UNO) 6-2, 6-0
5. Alex Van Cott (TLN) def. Lovro Curcija (UNO) 6-1, 6-0
6. Ian Van Cott (TLN) def. David Malmgren (UNO) 6-1, 6-4
1. Idan Mark/Dominik Koepfer (TLN) def. Hossam Meligy/Ricardo Campos (UNO) 8-5
2. Alex Van Cott/Rodrigo Rappaccioli (TLN) vs. Abdelrahman Zaki/Rui Silva (UNO) 6-5, unfinished
3. Joe Young/Ian Van Cott (TLN) def. Guillermo Aylon/David Malmgren (UNO) 8-2
New Orleans 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,5,3,6,2,1)
|< Prev||Next >|